Get a PDF copy – harness install directions
View the YOUTUBE Video…
National Capital Trackers
New Harness Installation Instructions
These instructions assume a basic knowledge of wiring practice and the usage of proper tools. If you are unsure or unable to complete this installation properly, consult a club-appointed harness installer for assistance. Self-installed harnesses must be inspected by a club installer prior to participation.
These instructions are supplemental to the YouTube video, posted on the club website and Facebook page. The video has 2 parts in a single file. First is the installation of the harness itself (steps 1-9a below). Second is the installation of the feed wires (part 9b)
(2) #8×3/8” Screws
(2) ¾” Cable clamps
(1) ½” cable clamp
1. Remove all existing buss harness wiring. If the existing track feeds are currently 14 or 16AWG, leave them in place. Track feeds smaller than 16 AWG (i.e. 18, 20 or 22 AWG) should be removed by cutting the wires flush with the bottom of the table top.
2. If the module has a full depth center brace and the wires will pass through a bore therein. If a bore is needed, a minimum hole of ¾” is recommended to allow sufficient room for free movement of the cable. Drill a hole through the center brace at the approximate centerline of the module. Unscrew the male end of the harness from the terminal block, and feed the harness through the centerbrace bore.
3. Determine the mounting location of the terminal block, such that the female end of the harness extends slightly beyond the right edge of the frame (approximately 3”) when viewed from the back of the module. This location should be approximately 21” from the right edge of the module frame (20 ¼” from the inside of the frame).
4. Mark the location of the terminal block on the module, and using one of the #10 screws, fasten one side of the terminal block to the module. NOTE** If the module top is excessively thin (i.e. Luan) a piece of spacer material (for example: a piece of 3/8” or thicker plywood, or a 1×2) may need to be glued to the bottom of the module top to provide sufficient thickness for preventing the mounting screws from going through the top.
5. Reassemble the harness, carefully noting the location of each wire such that the color coding of the wiring is the same across the terminal strip.
6. Insert the green and orange wires in the ½” cable clamp, insert the second #10 screw through the bottom of the cable clamp (“upside down”) and fasten the other side of the terminal block down.
7. Once the harness is properly fed through the module, assemble the female end of the harness by snapping the green and orange wires into the female housing. Be sure to feed the wires through the mesh sleeve on the harness. The cup of the contact tab faces the tongue in the housing, insert the orange wire in the orange housing and the green wire in the green housing. Wire seats with an audible click. Tug on the wire to insure proper connection. If wire pulls out or moves, then it is not properly seated.
8. Use the two ¾” cable clamps and #8 screws to fasten the harness to the underside of the module along its centerline, approximately 12-16” from each end of the module.
9a. If existing track feeds are reused, Remove the provided track feed pigtails and fasten track feeds to the terminal block. If existing track feeds are reused, they must have either ring or spade terminals (not provided) on the ends of the wire. Use of loose wire ends is not permitted.
9b. If new track feeds are required, solder the provided 14 AWG wires to the tracks.
The wire color coding is as follows:
White: Outer loop power
Black: Outer loop common
Blue: Center track power
Grey: Center track common
Red: Inner loop power
Brown: Inner loop common
IMPORTANT: If your module has switches which connect one main line to another, plastic isolation pins MUST BE INSERTED INTO ALL 3 RAILS in the crossover between mains to maintain separation of the ground wiring. Failure to do so WILL cause issues.
DO NOT CUT ANY OF THE BUSS HARNESS WIRES.
DO NOT CONNECT THE COMMONS TOGETHER.
DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING TO THE HARNESS OTHER THAN THE TRACK.
The new harness does not provide power for accessories, switches, or scenery lighting elements.
An accessory transformer must be supplied by the module owner to power any ancillary devices.